Each Candidate performs three works in the following order:
1. Petar Bergamo: Domande senza risposta II (ed. Diapason) – a PDF sample available here.
After sending their application form, the candidates will receive a copy of the work by e-mail, and after their arrival in Zagreb they will get the printed edition without extra payment.
2. Johann Sebastian Bach: 4th Cello Suite BWV 1010 – Prelude – reference urtext, transposition and phrasing on candidate’s choice, performance without repeats
3. A work chosen from the following list:
Roger Boutry: Divertimento – ed. Leduc
Alfred Desenclos: Prélude, Cadence et Finale – ed. Leduc
Claude Pascal: Sonatine – ed. Durand
Lucie Robert: Cadenza – ed. Billaudot
Pierre Sancan: Lamento et Rondo – ed. Durand
The Candidate performs three works in the following order:
1. Mladen Tarbuk: DIDGERIDOO for Alto Saxophone and String Quartet – about 10’ (with the participation of the Sebastian String Quartet) – edition Diapason. (The PDF working copy will be sent to all candidates one day after the application deadline. The Candidate will receive the printed version in Zagreb, without extra payment.
2. A Sonata chosen from the following list:
William Albright: Sonata – ed. Peters
Fernande Decruck: Sonata – ed. Billaudot
Edison Denisov: Sonata – ed. Leduc
Jindřich Feld: Sonata – ed. Leduc
Jeanine Rueff: Sonata for Saxophone Alto Solo – ed. Leduc
Takashi Yoshimatsu: Fuzzy Bird Sonata – ed. Billaudot
3. The work of the Candidate’s choice (solo or piano acc.) If the chosen work is with piano accompaniment and the pianist, after having seen the score, comes to the conclusion that one rehearsal is insufficient for quality performance, the Candidate will be asked to propose another work.
3rd Round – The Finals (with Zagreb Philharmonic Orchestra):
The Candidate performs two concertos in the following order:
1. Jeanine Rueff: Concertino for Alto Saxophone and Chamber Orchestra op. 17 – ed. Leduc
2. Concerto chosen from the following list:
Jacques Ibert: Concertino Da Camera – ed. Leduc
Lars-Erik Larsson: Concerto op. 14 – ed. Gehrmans
Frank Martin: Ballade for Saxophone Alto
Pavle Dešpalj: Concerto for Alto Saxophone and Strings – ed. Southern Music Pub. Co. (piano reduction); ed. Splitsko filharmonijsko društvo (score). The revised solo part for download here.